Friday 17 October 2014

Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and his years of pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami - a book review

Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and his years of pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami 
Released 2014
Translated from the Japanese by Philip Gabriel
Hardback ISBN: 9781846558337
Pages: 298
 
Tsukuru Tazaki had four best friends in his school years. They all happened to have names that contained a colour, apart from Tsukuru, who is colourless. One day they decide to cut Tsukuru off. He is cast out of the group without any explanation, nor does he ever ask for one. At university he sinks into a depression which he finds hard to come out of, he then drifts through life, never particularly struggling but never particularly happy. He is going through the motions in life but never really living. Then he meets a girl called Sara who he begins to fall in love with. She is the first person he tells about his highschool friends and their abandonment of him. She convinces him to seek out his friends and to discover what actually happened in his youth to make them cut him off so harshly. 
 
The book starts off really well, for any Murakami fans you start reading and feel like you’re at home. It’s pretty much what you expect, it’s rather normal seeming with the suggestion that things are going to get weird really soon. But it doesn’t. For me the plot in this book is really bizarre. Tsukuru’s friends cut him out of their lives. He decides to try to find out why, and then he does. As far as the plot goes I feel like that’s pretty much all there is to it! It’s just all too obvious. I don’t even feel like my saying this is a spoiler, it isn’t. The book is set up very quickly for this to happen, it’s the main focus of the novel, so it kind of has to. But then there’s just nothing else. There’s no depth, there’s no waiting for something to happen. This feels like an anomaly to me, I can’t help wondering how this happened. 
 
So, I’ve clearly said that I didn’t like the plot, I am afraid I’m going to have to say that I didn’t much like the characterisation either. They just felt so flat and one dimensional. I thought that Tsukuru’s four friends would be presented with different personalities and would thus each give something different to the story. They are all said to be different, and yet the way they are written is just the same. I didn’t feel like I got anything much from them, that they had added anything new to the novel, nor did they seem to help develop Tsukuru’s character. I am sure that they are each featured in the novel to offset something in Tsukuru, but they don’t. I don’t feel that he develops as a character at all, I’m not sure that his pilgrimage does anything for him, and so I cannot help but think, what was the point of it?
 
I am sure you can tell that I didn’t think much of this novel. Perhaps it’s just me, but I don’t get it. And yet I’m a huge fan of Haruki Murakami! Really, his other novels are amazing. Reading ‘Kafka on the Shore’ led me to want to learn Japanese and read more Japanese literature, ‘Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world’ is one of the best books I have ever read, it remains one that I could read repeatedly. ‘The wind up bird chronical’ is also one of the best books I could recommend to anyone. So I was massively disappointed with this one. It doesn’t have the things that you come to expect from Murakami. However, he has a name book coming out soon, ‘The strange library’, that I still can’t wait to read. Hopefully i will be able to write a much more positive review of that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment