Wednesday 8 October 2014

Us by David Nicholls - a book review

Us by David Nicholls.
First published 2014
Hardback ISBN:978 0 340 89699 0. Paperback ISBN: 978 0 340 89700 3.
Pages: 396
 
Douglas is a scientist, he is very sensible, very organised, and believes and hard work and the powers of planning. In his late 20s he meets Connie. I reckless and impulsive artist who believe in organised chaos and spontinaity. Despite their differences they fall in love and get married, and have a son, Albie. Now in his 50s Douglas in preparing for Albie to leave home to go to university. Connie wakes Douglas in the middle of the night to tell him that when Albie leaves, she will leave too. But before she goes there is a month long family holiday to go on. An European inter-railing adventure where Douglas plans to show his family all the great art that Europe has to offer. Things cannot go as smoothly as planned when Connie has had enough of Douglas’s non stop planning and Albie holds his looks at his father with the highest disdain. 
 
I had absolutely no idea what this book was about when i ordered it. I just felt that I really had to read at least one book on the Man Booker Prize short list, and this is the one I chose. I have to say that I really enjoyed everything about it. I was actually in the middle of another book when I decided to just read the beginning of this, which I then couldn’t put down, so I still have my original book to catch up on. 
 
The relationship between Douglas and Connie is interesting. Funnily enough I feel as though I could relate to Connie more, and yet I found myself routing for Douglas throughout. This really made me question why I liked him so much as a character. I am sure that presented from Connie’s viewpoint he would appear to be a bit stubborn and dull, and get I felt that he was constantly in the right and that his family should really be a bit more understanding. The family dynamic is wonderfully presented. All the bickering, falling outs, taking sides. It feels very natural and well observed. 
 
As Douglas takes his family around Europe he also reminisces about the past and how he and Connie met, and how they ended up where they are at present. This gives the reader a good idea of the progression of the relationship and where it possibly started to go wrong. I think it also gives you a bit more reason to sympathise with Douglas and judge Connie, although I still felt like I shouldn’t be doing! I think this gives the novel more depth, you can see the undercurrents of the relationship. It also gives the reader an experience of how things can you wrong, the importance of a build up of small, seemingly insignificant occasions which can turn into something catastrophic. 
 
Because the novel is set around Europe it feel like it’s constantly on the go, something is always happening. I do love a novel that has a variety of settings, you do feel like a bit of an armchair traveller. The family start in France, go to Switzerland, Holland, Italy and Spain. It is the kind of holiday I would love to go on, although I did keep thinking that they would be exhausted by all the walking around they were doing, and how would they really fit everything in? It’s nice that this is counteracted with the flashbacks, they give the novel some solidarity when the travelling seems without anchorage. 
All in all I would say I loved reading this. It’s totally engrossing, you feel as though you just have to keep reading. I couldn’t help but love Douglas too. As characters go he is really excellently portrayed. The novel can be frustrating at times, as you feel that in a family row that is not your own you have to take sides, and yet do nothing. But I think this gives you a sense of involvement, beyond passively reading. If, like me, you want to read a short listed novel, this appears to be a pretty good place to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment