Wednesday 1 October 2014

September in Books

I’ve done a fair amount of reading in September and have read more new releases than i usually do. I don’t avoid them, but they are quite expensive so I tend to get them mainly if they’re by an author I particularly like. So Septembers reads have been as follows - 
 
The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters
Ghostwritten by David Mitchell
Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki by Haruki Murakami
Stone Mattress by Margaret Atwood
The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
 
I’m re-reading Ghostwritten and The Handmaids Tale. I read them absolutely years ago, so long ago that I can barely remember what happens, so it’s nice to be reading books that I know I love but can’t actually remember the plot. I’m actually planning to revisit a few books in the next few months. I have an awful memory so I probably wont remember half of them. I guess this has its good and bad points. 
 
The best of the new releases in by far The Bone Clocks. It’s pretty much what we come to expect when we read a David Mitchell novel. I actually got mine just before the release as I went to a kind of ‘evening with’ David Mitchell in Sheffield. It was amazing. He did a reading from the book, chatted about his ideas behind it and answered questions. And gosh was he lovely. I read it pretty much constantly until i had finished, the story is absolutely gripping. I was actually bothered by it not making the booker prize short list, I had actually bothered to put a £10 bet on it winning the whole thing! I was a bit disappointed with the Sarah Waters and Murakami novels. 
 
The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters started well, and seemed to being going much in the way her other books go. I love how she writes relationships and eras and she doesn’t let down in that respect. But there’s a shift in plot in the middle of the novel and that’s where a lost interest. I carried on thinking it might come back but unfortunately not. 
 
The Murakami novel ruined itself for me much sooner. I usually love Murakami and I was really looking forward to this coming out, it’s been a while since 1Q84. But the plot was so lacklustre and flat it was unbelievable. I felt like the book suggested it was going somewhere and then went there, with no twists or turns in sight. 
 
To be honest I’m currently half way through Stone Mattress by Margaret Atwood. It’s living up to expectations though and I have read the bulk of it. It consists of a series of short stories with the first three being interlinked. I love how she creates different women, and describes how they interact. I’m looking forward to finishing it, and I may re-read The Blind Assassin. 
 
I will be writing proper reviews of all of these books at some point within the next month, although as with all books it is better to make up your own minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment