Sunday 19 October 2014

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson - A book review

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
Released 2013
ISBN-13:978-0385618670
ISBN-10:0385618670
Pages:480
 
Ursula Todd is born in 1910 during a snowstorm. The doctor can’t make it and she dies. In another world, the doctor makes it and she survives. The book then progresses through her childhood and similar instances occur. She falls off a roof trying to reclaim an abandoned toy, in one reality the fall kills her and in another she is stopped from going out and therefore is saved from the fall. She begins to feel these instances, like whispers from another life, and is thus able to avoid an early demise. She makes in through the first world war and moves to London during the second where the incessant bombing causes a multitude of instances where a small moment could mean a life saved or ended. 
 
I have read all of Kate Atkinson’s books before this and yet for one reason I have taken a while to get around to reading it. I almost gave up on it immediately. The beginning of the book is very confusing. The date keeps changing, I couldn’t quite get my head around the jumps in time and what this meant for the plot. I kept having to look at the contents page to see where I was and where I had been. It isn’t overly clear where death starts and a different life begins at the beginning of the book, although it does get a bit easier. The dead or alive ‘thing’ carries on throughout the book. Later on it becomes clearer where Ursula’s fate alters depending on what she does. This means that parts of the book are re-written. Something happens and then it moves backwards to the changing moment, which happens differently and the storyline goes in a different direction. 
 
To me this felt like a book of two halves. The first half takes place when Ursula is child living in the England countryside, in the second half she is a young adult living in London during the second world war. The first half reminded me very much of ‘The Children’s Book’ by A.S.Byatt and the second half of ‘The Night Watch’ by Sarah Waters. These are two separate books where Kate Atkinson has mashed the two style together into one. For me, I prefer the two separate books. It’s just too disjointed. Considering it keeps switching between realities and the story keeps changing, the added change of setting and leap into the future makes the book even harder. I don’t feel that it inspires reader involvement in the story. 
 
Like in ‘The Children’s Book’, Ursula has a large family who is centred around the mother, Sylvie. I actually like all of the characters here. I don’t feel like they are developed as much as they could have been, because there is too much else going on in the novel to dedicate so much time to character development. I do feel that this part is a bit ‘Downton Abby’ aswell. There is an effort to create a variety of characters that interact with each other and create different situations. But then the book moves forward, and with Ursula as a main character, her family has little significance and so the little development they are given becomes almost meaningless.
 
As for the second part of the novel, I again feel as though it is somewhat disjointed and shallow. I do love a novel set in London during the second world war. The descriptions are very well done, there is a great feeling of what life was like during this time. Unusually, Kate Atkinson includes an alternative life for Ursula where she is living in Germany during the war as she had travelled there as a modern languages student. I did really like this. I think it can be easy to forget that the other side during the war have a horrific time too. And yet again, the split in the story means that there is not enough going on in any storyline. It does by now though seem to be heading in a specific direction. Although after so much to-ing and fro-ing this feels like too little too late. 
 
I don’t think I could be any more clear in disliking this book. I just didn’t see the point of it, and i didn’t feel like it had enough depth. And I don’t just think I was struggling with the jumps in time. I read ‘The Bone Clocks’ by David Mitchell recently, this does something similar but it is done with so much ease and works so well. I am aware that I am possibly alone in thinking this about ‘Life After Life’, I know it has won awards and it seems to be very popular. But for me I would rather have just read ‘The Children’s Book’ and the ‘The Night’s Watch’. They do what Kate Atkinson is trying to do but so much better. I’m still looking forward to her next book though, and I remain and fan of her prior works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment