Saturday 4 October 2014

October Reading List

 
Yesterday i received the first instalment on my Amazon order that will be my October reading list. 
Yesterday I got:
 
Us by David Nicholls
Life after Life by Kate Atkinson
We are all Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler
 
Still to come are:
 
The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami (arriving in December)
The Book of Strange new things by Michel Faber (arriving at the end of October)
 
I’m really looking forward to the two that are still to come. Although I was disappointed by Murakami’s last novel, he still remains one of my all time favourite authors, and this book sounds promising. I think it has the sheep man in it, who to me signifies this book is going to be as bizarre as his older books. The one thing I am unsure of is that Amazon says the book is illustrated, am I buying a picture book?? No idea. 
 
I read ‘The Crimson Petal and the White’ by Michel Faber absolutely ages ago. Of course it was also adapted into a TV series, which if I remember correctly was in the form of a two part drama. It was just so well written. I am hoping for more of the same in his new novel. 
 
I had various reasons for wanting to read the three books that have now arrived. Firstly I was massively disappointed that David Mitchell’s ‘The Bone Clocks’ wasn’t shortlisted for The Booker Prize. I felt like I still had to read at least one book on that list so I chose ‘Us’ by David Nicholls. I’ve read a few reviews of it which said it’s amazing, so i have high hopes! I’ve also read some reviews of the other books on the shortlist which say they are not so amazing. I’ve ordered the whole shortlist before actually and have had to give up on some on the books on it because they were just so bad. Which i find crazy for such a prestigious prize. 
 
I have read most Kate Atkinson books but for some reason have been yet to order ‘Life after Life’. I actually started to read it yesterday and I am unsure of it so far. I mean, it seems ok, but I’m just a few pages in and I have no idea what’s going on. She is generally really good though. As for ‘We are all completely beside ourselves’ I actually have no idea why I bought that. It’s just been sat in my wishlist so it must have come from somewhere. Sometimes I think it’s a good idea to order something a bit random to add a bit of variety to your reading list.
 
So other than these I don’t have any major reading plans for October. I still have a huge ‘to read’ pile, i should really try to get through one of two of them. And I actually have a couple of books that I’ve started but have been struggling with, I should make an effort to finish them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment