Friday 10 October 2014

We are all completely beside ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler - a book review

We are all completely beside ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler
Published 2014
ISBN: 9781846689666
Pages: 336
 
Rosemary’s father is a prominent psychologist. Due to his work she spends the first five years of her life at the centre of a complex psychological experiment which happens to have huge consequences for the rest of her life. At age 5 Rosemary goes to stay with her grandparents and when she returns home her sister is missing and the experiment is over. She struggles with the events of her early life until she is at university when the re-introduction of her long lost brother makes her question what actually happened to her when she was a child. 
 
I don’t think i know how to say how much I loved this book. I read it within 24 hours, staying up until 1am to try and finish it and almost making myself late for work the next day reading right up to the point when I had to leave the house to get myself to work. There’s a really good twist around half way through. I don’t want to give it away as a spoiler, because I wasn’t expecting it (I never do see things coming) but it does pretty much define the novel. This changed my experience of reading the novel. I was enjoying reading it anyway, but halfway through I began to love it. I think that my inability to think ahead when I’m reading novels actually makes me enjoy them more.
 
The novel focuses on the relations between Rosemary and her family members. Her father, her mother, her runaway brother Lowell and the elusive Fern, the once-was-sister who is missing from the story whilst being almost present. Whilst Fern’s presence shapes the first five years of Rosemary’s life her absence shapes the rest of it. There is a massive amount of importance put on family dynamics and relationships. Attention and ignorance, and then the way that upbringing and forever change a child's life and personality. And in this case there is no coming back from a brutal beginning. Later on the book focuses on Rosemary’s relationships outside the family, or lack of them. She is generally unable to interact with other people in the way she is expected to. How does one get by in the world without the kind of human interaction and connections that are supposed to be easy?
 
I think that one of the reasons I ended up loving this book so much is it’s focus on animal rights. Rosemary’s brother Lowell end up being a wanted animal rights activist, and his return to Rosemary’s world beings with it a multitude of questions on animals place in society and whether they are beings in their own rights or if they are the belongings of humans. To be honest I think about these things a lot, I guess that being a vegetarian and wanna-be vegan I am constantly questioning my relationships with animals, and their relationship with the world at large. If anything is going to get me hooked in a book, it’s a pro-animal sideline. This is the kind of book that makes me want to read more about the science behind the storyline. It does in fact have a reading list in the back. I will probably add the books to my amazon wish list. In this sense it reminds me of ‘Popco’ by Scarlet Thomas or ‘My year of meats’ by Ruth Ozeki. It reminds me that I could be a better person.
 
This is one of the novels that has been shortlisted for the Booker Prize. If this is the standard to go by, I am very much looking forward to reading the rest of the nominations. It is seriously well written. The plot is gripping, the characterisation is second to non. As a novel it really does stand alone, I have read nothing else like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment